Germany is located in Central Europe. It is bordered by Denmark to the north, Poland and the Czech Republic to the east, Austria and Switzerland to the south, and France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands to the west.
Germany has a population of approximately 83 million people, making it the most populous member state in the European Union. The population is ethnically diverse, with the largest minority group being Turkish. The official language is German and the currency is the Euro.
Where is the Germany in the World?
Germany has a highly developed economy and is considered to be one of the leading industrial nations in the world. It has a strong export-oriented economy, with a focus on automobiles, machinery, chemical products, and electronics. The country is also a leader in renewable energy, particularly wind and solar power. The country has low unemployment rate and a high standard of living.
Map of Germany
How many states in Germany
Germany is divided into 16 states, known as “Bundesländer” in German. These states have their own governments and parliaments, but they are still subject to the laws and regulations of the federal government.
The 16 states of Germany are:
- Bayern (Bavaria)
- Hessen (Hesse)
- Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania)
- Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
- Nordrhein-Westfalen (North Rhine-Westphalia)
- Rheinland-Pfalz (Rhineland-Palatinate)
- Sachsen (Saxony)
- Sachsen-Anhalt (Saxony-Anhalt)
- Schleswig-Holstein and Thüringen (Thuringia).
Learn more about Germany
The largest cities in the Germany are:Here are the 10 most populous cities in Germany with their population figures:
- Berlin (Population: 3.5 million)
- Hamburg (Population: 1.8 million)
- Munich (Population: 1.5 million)
- Cologne (Population: 1.1 million)
- Frankfurt (Population: 751,000)
- Stuttgart (Population: 637,000)
- Düsseldorf (Population: 612,000)
- Dortmund (Population: 589,000)
- Essen (Population: 586,000)
- Bremen (Population: 557,000)
Germany Provinces Map
Author: Arif Cagrici – Head of Digital